Thursday, September 22, 2011

I love College

I actually enjoy going to my classes. It was a rare occurrence when I would wake up in the morning and be excited to go to one of my high school classes. Even though I'm only taking the required prerequisite classes, I wake up in the morning excited to go. I yearn to share my opinion, to learn from my professors, and from my peers.

Is it the same at a University?

It has been explained to me that professors at universities are not just professors, they are researchers. Their primary function is to conduct their research. At the community college (as lame as it sounds) my professors only teach. They come to work every day with the sole purpose of furthering my education. I'm receiving one on one time that I can't imagine is possible at a university. At least not in undergrad work. I understand that as classes become more specialized, they tend to be smaller.

Everyone tells me that Community College is like HighSchool 2.0

I really don't understand how they have come to that conclusion. What freedoms were they looking for in a college experience that they aren't receiving? Is it desirable to get lost in a crowd?

From what I have observed and experienced at the community college the differences between high school and community college are astronomical. Students are actually there to learn, professors actually treat you like an adult, the course load is challenging, and the resources are profound. The amount of free (technically inclusive) help provided is amazing.

I have almost 2 more years until I will be able to go out and experience Arizona State University. So I don't have much knowledge as to the day to day dynamics but I'm its way better, but if community college is what we are stuck with, then why not look at the positives involved with our situation.

This was not hating on ASU. I intend to go to ASU after my general credits are taken care of.
This was only to silence the people that hate on community college just because of the name.

This mainly applies to kids who go to community.

Anyone want to explain to me why ASU is better than Chandler/Gilbert?
Please include facts and support to your argument.

My general argument is this:

Attending community college for the first two years will save me over twelve thousand dollars, therefore it is a better option.

Leave a Comment 
Tell me why I'm wrong!


No comments:

Post a Comment