Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What I Spend My money On

After a quick Google search "blog topics" I came across "100 Blog Topics I Hope You Write" and was inspired by a few. This first one focuses on a huge part of my life and I'm only assuming anyone else's who reads this... MONEY!  I'm terrible with money. America is terrible with money. The biggest problem I encounter when I look at my very sad bank statement is that I don't remember half of the purchases I make. Not because I'm a raging alcoholic or hooked on Methamphetamines, but because like most people with money problems, I'm constantly trying to instantly gratify myself. I find myself justifying my spending and regretting it later.
So, I have taken a new approach to spending. Instead of living like a child and spending whatever get my jollies off, I designate a certain amount of money to savings (money under no circumstances that I will spend) and to checking (money I don't want to spend, but will not affect me if I accidentally blow it all on asian hookers.)
At the end of the month I'm finding myself with excess in the checking and exactly what I planned on saving in the savings. The key to this new budget is to live like a reasonable adult instead of living like a irrational child. I'm doing my best to live like I'm poor so that in the future I can be rich, Instead of living like I'm rich and digging myself a hole.

My 3 Biggest Expenses: 

Food
Gas 
Going out on the weekend (and sometimes weekdays)

I firmly believe that the habits we create now will carry on with us until the day we die. I really dont want to create the kinds of financial habits that will keep me broke and pissed off about all the mysterious money that disappears.

Anyone have any budget tips, trick or just plain suck at budgeting?
Let me know!

By the Way I still need 29 more topics! 
What the hell should I write about next time?!?!

2 comments:

  1. well since i am completely ignoring the fact that i have a shit ton of homework... and two exams this week i should be studying for i might as well spend my time giving you a quick tip here.

    SIMPLIFY! make your life as simple as possible in all facets of your life and soon you will see the financial benefits! Not only does this help you in the bank, but you will feel less stressed or overwhelmed. Less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wise words Keshet. I totally agree with every bit of it though. I have been living my life too fast paced and now that I'm getting closer and closer to adulthood I'm realizing that I need to slow down and organize my life before I can be successful. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete